Unravelling seed oil, protein and fiber density in lintless-fuzzless upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum. L) through combining ability estimates and association studies
An investigation was carried out to understand the gene action for seed oil, seed protein, seed gossypol, seed cotton yield and fiber density through intra-hirsutum crosses. Combining ability and gene action were studied in eighteen hybrids involving six elite varieties as lines (females) and three fuzzless G. hirsutum accessions as testers (males) in Line x Tester analysis. This study revealed the preponderance of non-additive gene action on all the traits studied including seed cotton yield. The elite general combiners identified were CO14 for seed oil and seed protein and CO17 and AKH98-81 for fiber per seed and fiber density. The best specific combiner was SVPR4 x AKH98-81 for seed oil, fiber density and seed cotton yield. A correlation study revealed a strong positive association of seed oil content, lint index, micronaire value, fiber per seed and seed fiber density traits with seed cotton yield. This study indicated the possibility of developing high-yielding hybrids with high seed oil, seed protein content and better fiber quality traits through heterosis breeding.
Keywords: Combining ability, correlation, fuzzless cotton, seed oil, seed protein, seed gossypol, fiber density, seed surface area
Unravelling seed oil, protein and fiber density in lintless-fuzzless upland cotton Gossypium hirsutum. L through combining ability estimates and association studies. 2023. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 14 3, 768-774. Retrieved from https://ejplantbreeding.org/index.php/EJPB/article/view/4769
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.