Assessment of genetic variability and association studies for yield related traits in soybean
Soybean is an important legume cum oil seed crop of the country. Generation of information on genetic control of traits and association among them could play a great role in targeted crop improvement. In this study, 76 soybean genotypes including five checks were characterized and evaluated during summer, 2023. The traits namely plant height, number of branches per plant, number of pods per plant, number of clusters per plant and single plant yield showed high GCV and PCV. High heritability and GAM were also observed for the above traits. Traits namely the number of pods per plant, number of branches per plant, number of clusters per plant, number pods per cluster, number of seeds per pod and plant height had significant correlation with yield and direct effects observed to be higher for number of pods per plant and plant height. This study suggested that selection for number of pods per plant, number of branches per plant and number of clusters per plant could be useful to improve the yield and evolve high yielding varieties.
Keywords: Soybean, Variability, Correlation, Path coefficient
Assessment of genetic variability and association studies for yield related traits in soybean. 2023. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 14 3, 1026-1034. Retrieved from https://ejplantbreeding.org/index.php/EJPB/article/view/4845
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.