Heterosis for seed cotton yield and quality traits in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.)
Forty five intra-hirsutum hybrids from a 10 × 10 diallel crossing excluding reciprocals along with their parents and check were tested in three environments at Regional Agricultural Research Station, Lam Farm, Guntur, Agricultural Research Station, Jangamaheswarapuram and Agricultural Research Station, Darsi during kharif, 2013-14. Observations were recorded on seed cotton yield and fibre quality traits to estimate the extent of heterosis over mid, better parent and check. Heterosis for seed cotton yield plant-1 over mid parent, better parent and standard check ranged from -10.25 (NDLH 1938 × MCU 5) to 33.83 (NDLH 1938 × L 604), -14.3 (NDLH 1938 × MCU 5) to 23.37 (L 770 × RAH 1004) and -10.17 (L 604 × G COT 16) to 39.47 (NDLH 1938 × L 604); respectively. The hybrids NDLH 1938 × L 604 and NDLH 1938 × RAH 1004 recorded maximum significant positive heterosis over mid, better parent and check for most of the fibre quality characters. The cross combination involving NDLH 1938 parent recorded significant positive heterosis for most of the characters. Hence, the parent NDLH 1938 can be used for exploitation of heterosis.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.