CoPb 14185: A midlate sugarcane variety for North West Zone of India
CoPb 14185 is a mid-late maturing sugarcane clone, selected from the polycross (PC) population of CoS 8436, at PAU Regional Research Station, Faridkot during 2008-09. CoPb 14185 was evaluated under AICRP(S) at nine locations in the North West Zone (NWZ) of India with two plant crops and one ratoon (2P+1R) during 2017-20. CCS (Commercial Cane Sugar) yield of CoPb 14185 in North West Zone (NWZ) was 11.58 t/ha with 11.10 and 3.86 per cent improvement than the best standard, Co 05011 and qualifying variety, CoS 14233, respectively. The cane yield of CoPb 14185 was 88.99 t/ha with 7.07 and 1.73 per cent higher than the best standard and qualifying variety, respectively. Pol% in cane of CoPb 14185 was 14.27, which was on par to the standards and qualifying variety. CoPb 14185, ranked first with 18.50% sucrose content (2P+1R), was observed more tolerant to prevalent diseases and insect-pests. It has erect medium thick whitish yellow green cylindrical cane (i.e. ~ 210.50 cm length, ~2.44 cm diameter), with pentagonal bud, curved leaf canopy, purple dewlap, incipient auricle and deltoid ligule. CoPb 14185 has been identified and released as a best mid-late variety through the Central Variety Release Committee (CVRC) for realizing higher cane yield and sugar recovery in NWZ of India.
Keyword: AICRP(S), CoPb 14185 (CoPb 98), CCS yield, CVRC, Sugarcane
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.